Towne Players of Ken-Ton
In 1957 the Lincoln Park Village Players and the Kenmore Community Players decided that it was time to join together and they formed the Ken-Ton Towne Players Group.
Some of the original names from both groups were Orpha and Worth Flanders, Sam Gelose, Rose Marie Sutherland, Ann Donahue, Dr. Irving Vogel, Joe Commerford, Ollie Chandler, Joan and John Milovich, Ken and Jean Otis.
In the Fall of 2005, a bond was forged with the Ken-Ton Parks and Recreation Department, which still exists to this day. Our current home is at the Sheridan-Parkside Community Center at 169 Sheridan-Parkside Dr.
Over the years, the Towne Players have done many community outreach programs, including: Summer Children's Theater at local libraries, performances and parades at the Erie County Fair, performances honoring both the Village of Kenmore and the Town of Tonawanda on their anniversaries, a repertory theater, and most recently, a children's dramatic class and club.
Since the late 1980's, we have been proud members of the Theater Association of New York State (TANYS). We have participated and won at their annual Fall Theater Festival, had many productions reviewed and awarded honors by their roving adjudicators. The Towne Players has also sponsored and housed members of the Winchester Dramatic Society from England, when they toured New York State in 1989.
It would be remiss not to mention longtime members Paul and Rosemary Sturner, who were active members from 1967 until Paul's death in 2007, at the age of 90. They, along with the Flanders and the Hoeflers, set down the foundation on which we continue to build our group on today.
You could say that Orpha and Worth continue to oversee our activities with their portraits hang at the back of our theater facing the stage.